Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Greek Woman of November - Brianna Welbourn

We are very excited to announce that the Greek Woman of November is Brianna Welbourn!



Brianna Welbourn is a senior and affiliated with Delta Zeta Sorority in Fall of 2010. She is a communication disorders major and special education minor. Her hometown is Lake Zurich, Ill.

Brianna is also a campus assistant, a member of Order of Omega, and a member of National Student Speech Hearing Language Association. She's volunteered with America Reads, Fairhaven Nursing, and for the Painted Turtle Camp. She was also voted Dream Girl in her chapter, an award that is given to a sister who exemplifies outstanding qualities and for being an amazing asset to the chapter.

What attracted you to join a sorority?
'I was attracted to Greek life because of my father who was in a fraternity in college. He wanted me to go through recruitment and see what it was like. It turns out that I absolutely fell in love with Greek life while going through recruitment and realized that I was going to make friendships that would last me a lifetime. 

After joining Delta Zeta, I realized that Greek life is more than making friends. It is about making connections on campus and in the community. Through Greek life, I have had the opportunity to volunteer throughout the Whitewater community as well as around the country. The opportunities are endless, from leadership to community service opportunities - you never stop meeting people and building connections. Becoming a part of the Greek community was the best decision I have ever made and has truly shapes me into the person I want to be after I graduate.'

Her favorite memory:
'My favorite memory about being Greek would have to be the opportunity to be president of my chapter. The past year has been an incredible journey and has allowed me to interact with many other Greek members on the campus. Being able to interact and meet other Greek members has opened my eyes to the vast array of chapters in the nation and the incredible individuals who make up the Greek community. Not only have I had the chance to interact with local Greek members, I have also had the opportunity to interact with other Delta Zetas across the country through Delta Zeta conferences. 

In February, I had an amazing opportunity to fly out to Dallas, Texas, to be a part of Delta Zeta's President's Academy. It was a great learning experience and allowed me to interact with other women leaders who could easily relate to my situation. These past few years, I have had the opportunity to make numerous memories but becoming president has definitely taught me the most memorable lessons.'

Her piece of advice for students:

'One piece of advice I would like to share with students is to get involved on campus and the community. Not only do you get to meet others who share similar interests, but you get to make connections in the community that can help you after graduation. 

There are over 180 student organizations on this campus and each one lends an opportunity to become a leader within that organization and to make connections with students and advisors. In my opinion, you can never be too involved because with more organizations comes better time management and more opportunities to make connections.'

Here's what the sister who nominated Brianna had to say about her:

'Brianna is the current President of Delta Zeta and as her term comes to a close, she should be recognized for the work she has done for the Chapter and the Greek community as a whole. Brianna is dedicated to her Chapter and always strives to do what is best for her sisters even if it is a hard decision to make. 

She is a role model to those younger and older than her and strives to be the best President she can be. She also has good relations with other Greek organizations and strives to promote Greek unity and support. Finally, Brianna strives to be the best Delta Zeta and Greek that she can be on a daily basis and makes time and effort for here sisters.'

No comments:

Post a Comment